The Properties

A Revolutionary War hero, reclusive sisters, a high-rolling land speculator, an avant-garde progressive -- these are just a few of the intriguing personalities brought to life at the historic properties of Connecticut Landmarks. Come on in, explore, and see what our museums have to offer!

Properties

The Amasa Day House is a wonderful example of a rural Federal house which showcases how the Industrial Revolution changed the daily life of American families. Located on the Moodus Green, it was constructed in 1816 for farmer, Colonel Julius Chapman, his wife Frances, and their four daughters. After his death, Amasa Day purchased the property, but later sold off parcels of land as he focused more on his roles as an insurance agent and banker. The house was subsequently inherited by Day's daughter and son-in-law Katherine and Eugene Chaffee.

Connecticut Landmarks recently completed the Hartford Campus Project, to preserve the Amos Bull House and develop it as a key component of our Hartford Campus and twelve-property network. The Hartford Campus Project has accomplished a number of high-priority, long-term strategic goals for organizational growth and sustainability. The Amos Bull House - one of four remaining 18th century buildings in Hartford - and the Butler-McCook Carriage House, now houses CTL's administrative offices, archives and essential program and community education space.

The Bellamy-Ferriday House & Garden embodies the dramatically different passions of two extraordinary individuals. Bethlehem pastor Rev. Joseph Bellamy, a renowned leader of the Great Awakening, the emotional religious revival of the 1740s, built the house around 1754. In 1912, New Yorkers Henry and Eliza Ferriday acquired it as a summer residence. Mrs. Ferriday and her daughter, Caroline, designed a formal garden which today features historic-style roses, peonies, and lilacs. The Ferriday’s other landscape improvements make the site a destination for gardeners. Caroline, an actress, conservationist and philanthropist, deeded the property and furnishings to Connecticut Landmarks on her death.

For 189 years the Butler-McCook House & Garden was home to four generations of a family who participated in, witnessed, and recorded the evolution of Main Street between the American Revolution and the mid-twentieth century. Inside are the original furnishings ranging from Connecticut-crafted colonial furniture to Victorian-era toys and paintings to samurai armor acquired during a trip to Japan. Behind the property is a restored Victorian ornamental garden, originally laid out in 1865 by landscape pioneer Jacob Weidenmann. The Main Street History Center’s keystone exhibition, “Witnesses on Main Street,” uses the Butler and McCook families’ words and experiences to chronicle their neighborhood’s transformation from a clutch of clapboard dwellings, taverns, and artisan shops into a modern urban enclave of multi-story steel, brick, and stone structures housing major financial, industrial, governmental, and cultural institutions.

With its diamond-paned casement windows, clapboards weathered nearly black, and hewn overhangs, the Buttolph-Williams House harkens back to the Puritan era of New England during the 1600s. Although actually built around 1711, the house reflects the continuing popularity of the traditional architecture imported from England. The house is thought to have been constructed for local tavern keeper Benjamin Belden, who lived in the house with his wife, Anne Churchill and their family. 

The 1678 Joshua Hempsted House in New London is one of New England’s oldest and most well documented dwellings. Adjacent to the Joshua Hempsted House is a rare stone house built in 1759 by Nathaniel Hempsted. Both structures survived the 1781 burning of New London and stand today as testaments of 17th and 18th-century daily life. Joshua Hempsted the second was born in 1678 in the house that bears his name. From 1711 until his death in 1758, Joshua kept a diary, which today is one of the best sources about life in colonial New London. Joshua’s diary provides hundreds of pages of valuable information, as well as his insight about early New London people and activities, including the life of enslaved resident Adam Jackson. The stone Nathaniel Hempsted House was constructed by Joshua’s grandson Nathaniel Hempsted. He was a merchant and one of three rope makers in maritime New London.

The Isham-Terry House is a time capsule of the genteel lifestyle of the late 19th and early 20th centuries and the lone survivor of a once vibrant Hartford neighborhood. In 1896, Dr. Oliver Isham purchased the house for his medical practice and as a home for himself, his parents and his three sisters. His sisters, Julia and Charlotte, lived in the house until their deaths in the 1970s. A life-long love of their family home and an interest in historic preservation led them to donate their family home to Connecticut Landmarks. The footprint of the house remains the same as it was when it was built in 1854 with the three-story rectangular tower added in 1883. The 15-room mansion is adorned with crown moldings, ceiling medallions, lincrusta wall coverings, hand painted walls and ceilings, gilt mirrors and valances, stained glass windows, elaborate gas-light chandeliers and many original kitchen and bathroom appliances and fixtures. It is filled with objects of historical, artistic and family significance including antique furnishings, decorative arts, rare books and the Terry clocks made famous by their great uncle Eli Terry. Dr. Isham’s medical office, with surgical instruments and medicines, has been left largely undisturbed, as has the family’s c. 1920 kitchen.

Nathan Hale Homestead is the birthplace of Connecticut’s State Hero, Nathan Hale, who was hanged as a spy during the Revolutionary War. The house, built in 1776, belonged to Nathan’s parents and family, and is located on the only site he ever called home. Its furnishings include several Hale family possessions and other collections amassed by CT antiquarian George Dudley Seymour, who purchased the Homestead in 1914 and began a program of restoration that is largely preserved today. The Hale Homestead is situated on 17 acres, adjoining the 1500-acre Nathan Hale State Forest, lending to the site’s substantial rural character.

The Phelps-Hatheway House & Garden highlights the luxurious lifestyle enjoyed by two wealthy 18th-century Connecticut Valley families, until their fortunes collapsed. From the sheer size of the house to the French wallpaper, the style and layout of the rooms and the grand staircase, the house represents the ultimate in high-style for early Federal architecture. The house is furnished with outstanding 18th-century Connecticut furniture and the grounds are landscaped with formal flower beds, an herb garden and flowering shrubs. The grounds also include a summer house and the entire property is surrounded by a striking white fence, which runs along Suffield’s Main Street.